06 February 2007

Sjælland in a Saturday

After almost a year and a half in Denmark I finally ventured out of the country's capital this past Saturday! Mind you I didn't really make it off the island of Sjælland (where Copenhagen is located), and I had to insult a Dane by saying that I thought Sweden was better than Denmark to acquire a tour-guide!

But I'm glad that I finally got around to it. While much of what I saw was indeed like I expected it to be, I was rather surprised to find trees in quantities that made me think of the word "woods" if not "forest". And I even saw what just might qualify as a hill or two - shocking! Actually for such a notoriously flat country, Denmark has a remarkable number of little rolling hills (even if they are clustered in just a few areas) and even cliffs! Just look to the left for photographic evidence! These would be the cliffs of Møn. To see this beautiful site you have to drive quite a bit south of Copenhagen - and climb a lot of stairs to get back to your car - but it's all worth it once you see that torquoise water washing black rocks up onto the white sand.

Actually, this lovely sight recently made the Danish news as a large portion of the cliff face fell into the sea. Luckily it didn't ruin this view or crumble while I was there... though I did hear stories of tourists buried to death by cliff sand that had decided to go for a swim. Apparently this was the fate of French couple some years ago - ah, what a romantic way to die! A little less romantic for those who had to dig them out though.

To sum up the rest of the trip: Swans have invaded Denmark - there are flocks (or gaggles?) of them everywhere. I wouldn't want to live right next to a windmill or in a house with a thatched roof. Denmark has rich people too. And it's good to know someone who gets corporate rates and upgrades on car hires :-)

No comments: