02 August 2007

Yovo! Yovo! Bonsoir, ca-va, ca-va bien merci!

Just looking at this photo I can almost hear them singing, "Yovo! Yovo! Bonsoir, ca-va, ca-va bien merci!"
Yovo means foreigner in Fon, the dominant local language in Southern Benin, and children giggle and shout to all the yovos they see, running up to touch the funny white people and be photographed. And their shrieks and laughter triple when you show them their image on the tiny screen of your digital camera.


This little song is still ringing in my ears from our trip to Ouidah weeks ago; after I volunteer at a children's center tomorrow, I'm sure it will be etched into my eardrums forever. One of the girls I've been travelling with volunteers at the center and, though she's leaving for home on Sunday, she's introducing me to the center so that I can get more involved here.

I can't wait. It will be a way into the culture and reality of this strange country, a contribution I can be proud of, a new network of friends and contacts, a place to practice my French in action, and not least of all, a welcome break from my thesis a couple of days each week.

Besides, Beninese children are about as cute as they come!

4 comments:

kimananda said...

Those are cute, cute kids...I look forward to hearing about your volunteer adventures!

Unknown said...

Cool that you're going to do volunteering stuff. Oh yes, they're definitely cute!

Anonymous said...

Ca va? Mmm, ca va.

Gorgeous! You cannot help but smile when looking at that photo.

Wow. Thats all I can say when reading about your adventures. Mind blowing experience.

The childrens center must be a riot of cuteness : )

Anonymous said...

nice ass.