27 May 2007

4 hrs, 54 min, 56 sec... 42.195 km!

Exactly one week ago, almost to the minute, I finished the Copenhagen Marathon. Scratch that one off the list of life goals. I have to admit, after training for only two months, I was more than a little shocked to reach the end within my 5 hour goal, and with enough energy left to walk to Central Station. In fact, I think I probably could have finished 15 to 20 minutes sooner if I were a bit more experienced at judging my enegry levels. But that's not to say I'm not pleased. Honestly, I was just hoping to finish. Wait, not even. I was just hoping to have the guts to show up on race-day. And I think that if I hadn't told so many people of my plan to run, I might not have. Well, that and the fact that I paid 500 DKK to enter. So thank you to all who believed in me. And thank you even more to all those who didn't. Nothing's more motivational than the opportunity to prove people wrong.

Really though, it just felt like a very long run. A very long run with a whole lot of other people cutting you off for the first couple of hours. Ha, ha! First couple of hours. Sounds funny, doesn't it? And I reached the end thinking, "Okay, it's over now," and it took full a minute or longer for the impact of it all to properly sink in. And then I thought, "This definitely isn't going to become a habit," but now I'm catching myself googling marathons in Africa. Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. These things happen one step at a time after all.

No comments: