05 August 2008

Guinea's Top Ten

Hmm, after looking at my last few posts I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not painting Guinea in the best light, which is a shame because it really has it's merits. I'd even say I'm enjoying life here more than in Benin, though it's probably not a fair comparison to make as Benin was burdened with introduction-to-Africa status. So, in an effort to be more positive, I've made a quick list of the top ten things I like about Guinea right now.

10. Dogs... everywhere. They're only sorry strays, but they still bring a smile to my face.
9. Delicious, fresh fruit.
8. Giant bags of cheap spices at the grocery store, especially ones for making Indian dishes. I'm determined to learn how to cook Indian food... poor T.
7. Our cleaning lady, Ellen. My French is terrible, but we seem to understand each other in a way that Elisabeth and I did not.
6. The ocean view and sea breeze from the balcony.
5. The chance to get over my nervousness about speaking a foreign language by being forced to speak French.
4. A swimming pool just steps from the door.
3. Amazing nature and wildlife.
2. Sunshine, even in the rainy season.
1. Meeting the craziest people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good list. I like point 1. But the other 9 sound very beautiful, interesting, comfortable, nice, as well.

Kari said...

annemarie - Yeah, I hope you get to come experience all ten points for yourself. And number 1 is my favourite too :)

kimananda said...

I got the sense that you like Guinea quite a lot, just from your first few posts from there. And, don't be afraid of Indian food, or worried for anyone trying your creations. The spice list can be a bit daunting, but otherwise, it's not that difficult, and the end results are delicious! I'd love to come down for dinner when you're ready to present it to company. :-)

Kari said...

kimananda - you're always welcome! But you'll have to be ready to teach me how to make Chinese food... I'm still waiting for those lessons ;)