14 August 2008

feeling disconnected

It's funny which things remind one how cut off from the rest of the world one is when living in a place like Guinea. For me, right now, it's the Olympics. I admit, I haven't been glued to Olympics coverage since I was 9 years old and still dreamed of becoming a figure skater; yet, for some reason I feel like I'm really missing out this year. The fact is an Olympics hosted by China is more than just an international sports gathering; it's history. I'm twiddling my thumbs in Guinea and history's blowing right past me. *insert exasperated sigh here*

Thank goodness for the internet. At least I can read the news online, but too bad all the articles I'm reading are on things like how the Opening Ceremony fireworks were faked and so on. Well, I can honestly say that they didn't look particularly authentic or fake to me. But surely I can find some video coverage online? you ask. In theory, yes... if I want to wait two weeks for it to download. Don't even mention streaming video; our connection is far too sluggish. Just the other day T exclaimed, "Why is everything on the Internet a video!" Yes, why indeed. Oh, now I remember, because videos are fun... except for when they skip, stutter and stall every 3 seconds.

But then Russia invaded Georgia (or Georgia threatened Russians, depending on your perspective) and everyone forgot about the Olympics and felt just as disconnected from the 'truth' of things as me, and all was well again... or maybe not.

No comments: