03 June 2007

There's No Place Like Home

I'm back home in Keene, NH for a quick visit before the big move. It's strange how after you've been away for such a long time things always seem just a tiny bit different; the same counter top you've made your sandwiches on for years appears just a little bit lower than you remember, the sunlight leaves a different hue on your bedroom wall, the doorbell sounds an unfamiliar ring. But after a few hours it all comes back together and it's almost like you never left and your life away was just a dream.

I'm so glad that I was able to get back, even if I did bring the foul weather with me. It's wonderful to see everyone and soak up a little bit of American culture again. Coming home makes you realise how much you've forgotten, and how much you'll never forget, making it both a disturbing and comforting experience. They say leaving home broadens your horizons and gives you a different perspective on the world. I say going home can do the very same thing.

3 comments:

kimananda said...

Yes, I totally agree! Will write you a real e-mail at some point in the (I hope) near future. :-)

Anonymous said...

Make sure you have a pumpkin ice cream for me : )

Unknown said...

:-) And everything is smaller at home. Also distances. If I tell my mum that I'm going to walk to the shopping mall (a distance of 1 kilometre), she offers me to bring me by car... It's too far to walk ;). By the way, has your play station been sold? some pieces of paper disappeared from the ad on my floor...